Lentil dip with roasted mushrooms and onions


I like to be as efficient as I possibly can and though I love to cook and spend most of my time in the kitchen, I am happiest when I have ready-to-use ingredients that I can just put together in new ways. So, when I boil lentils for a specific recipe, I double the quantity and reserve half for next day's different idea. And when I roast something in the oven, I look in my fridge for other veggies I can cook along, my oven never runs half-empty. Then, I simply put the cooked ingredients in the fridge, and the next day the fun begins: coming up with something I haven't before. And that is how this particular dip came into being - a few ingredients from the fridge blended harmoniously in a most delicious dip! 


Ingredients
- 1/2 cup Puy lentils, picked and rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 200 g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 onions, sliced not too thinly
- 10 kalamata olives, pitted
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste

Cover the lentils with plenty of water, add the bay leaf and boil for 15 minutes or until cooked. Scoop out about half a cup of the cooking liquid, drain the lentils and reserve.
Place the mushrooms and onions on a baking sheet, sprinkle with salt and pepper, drizzle with the olive oil and toss to coat. Roast at 400 F until tender and edges of the onions start to brown. Place the lentils, onions, mushrooms (and the oil in which they cooked) and the olives in a blender and pulse until smooth. If needed, add some of the lentils' cooking liquid. Taste and adjust seasonings to your preference. Serve with bread or crackers and enjoy!



Comments

Popular Posts